Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Somnambulism

I've been listening to ads about Belsomra, the latest drug offering from Mexico (yes, that's where it's made) to screw you up. Looks like a winner, all new, hideously expensive, slap-dash tested, and likely letting one sleep-walk through the day, all for 20 extra minutes a night sleep. This is extra fun when driving to work, read about it. Oh, one can get to sleep 2 to 22 minutes quicker on the heaviest dose.

Getting laid used to do it for my wife and me. Also, it works good for snoring, can't hear it when you're snoring too!

Actually, I read the linked article above and was thinking about the side-effects of "hypnagogic hallucinations (including vivid and disturbing perceptions)" plus "Along with the concern for next-day impairment, the usual warnings for hypnotics also apply here: avoid alcohol and other CNS depressants, exercise caution in patients who are depressed or suicidal, monitor for behavioral changes including amnesia and complex sleep behaviors (eating, texting, sex while still sleeping)."

Vivid dreaming has been with me all my life, extremely realistic and in Technicolor! I'd worry about falling out of a plane or being shot if they were any more real.

And sex while sleeping, I've been awakened most happily by a amorous wife (mine. Go away!), sex while sleeping is just wrong. Such a loss...

...found another good site on Belsomra, Consumer's Reports. No way, Jose'. Go read if you want to see a piece of expensive, non-working, crap. ...excerpt:

"Their analysis shows that people who took a 15 mg or 20 mg dose of Belsomra every night for 3 months fell asleep just 6 minutes faster on average than those who got a placebo pill. And the Belsomra group slept only 16 minutes longer—6 hours and 12 minutes total vs. 5 hours and 56 minutes for the placebo group.

Those small improvements in sleep didn’t translate to people feeling more refreshed. Instead, more people who took Belsomra felt drowsy the next day compared with those who took a placebo."

Lots of good stuff at that site.

I've only had chronic trouble sleeping twice in my life. The first was when the mother of my (I think) two sons left me. I gave up after months of miserable half-sleep and dragging my ass the following daze and took OTC sleeping pills. They worked after a fashion, unfortunately they suppressed REM sleep entirely. Without rapid eye movement sleep, one apparently doesn't dream, the old hard drive gets really cluttered, loaded with all kinds of malware, and after about three daze in a row, everything and everyone needs some serious murdering.

What worked was total immersion in my work. The laboratory projects were of such complexity and the people involved were so competent that this worked like a charm.

The second is at this and probably many other nursing homes. The residents are greater than 90% eaten away by Alzheimer's or equivalent, the younger victims of a certain hindu quack are drugged to the point of vegetation, and there is zero for any normal person to do if reading (bring your own books), writing, and the internet aren't your bag. No conversations, zero. It does get tedious.

...just wheeled outside on the patio for a while. Very strange night, clouds in three distinct layers moving fast in multiple directions, no thunder, just breezy and quiet. As it was deep twilight, there were no colors, just very distinct contrast black, grey, and white with a pure, white artifact spreading and opening like a disease on one of the clouds. The rotating beacon light from the nearby civil airport on the low, scudding clouds was an added strangeness to the brew. Stephen-Kingish.

Now that all that stuff is done, maybe there's some time for the actual purpose of this post, Windmill Drive. If you ever think I'm going to change and stay on the subject, I recommend you change the type of cigarets you're smoking! Ain't gonna happen, don't know if I know how.

In the Summer of 1958 when I was 8 years old, I was laying in bed half-asleep one night when I heard my 5 year old sister thump out of her bed and thought she was just going to the bathroom. She turned on her bedroom light, opened the door, and turned on the hall light. This was unusual as the bathroom was close by and she had never done that before.

I got up to see what was going on and my father joined me from my parent's bedroom. We watched as my sister went down into the living room, turned all the lights on, then turned the front lights on. She then went outside and began walking down the driveway, turned right on Windmill Drive, and walked toward the west. I remember the moon was nearly full and there was plenty of light. Dad and I hung back from Gracie, and now I think about it, what a strange scenario that must have been. A small, little dark-haired girl in the ethereal moonlight wearing a long night-gown walking purposefully toward the darkness that was Cottage Hill Road followed by a man and a small boy quite a ways behind with the old windmill in the background. A little-bit Gothic ya think?

When Gracie reached Cottage Hill, she just stood staring across the road for quite a while, turned without acknowleging us, and walked home. She reversed the exit with the only difference being turning the porch and living room lights off. Strange, but not near as strange as her repeating this with very minor variations two more nights. What was she seeing across the road? There was a very old residential development, probably with parts pre-dating the War of Northern Aggression, not much else.

Across the road, my young friends and I used to frequent a very old couple's home, they were probably 65 (!), that had a ancient flagstone pond overgrown by huge mimosas which were in turn shaded by live oaks that must have been four feet in diameter. The adjacent homes were as shaded and dark on large parcels of land, all ancient folk and always welcoming to us young ones! Was Gracie, who had never been there, seeing something in her sleep that we couldn't see awake?


Hit Counter
Hit Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment