Saturday, August 15, 2015

Christina

Back when the moon had just been ripped from the flesh of the earth by the passing of the rogue star Niburu (humor me folks, I'm loosely threaded), I took employment at Sandia National Laboratories in New Mexico. For reasons best left unsaid, my wife and I thought it would be better for our marriage if we were to leave the old neighborhood. It didn't work of course, actually worsened the conflict.

At Sandia, EVERYONE was required to qualify for a Q, or atomic weapon clearance of one grade or another. Due to certain of my qualifications, I was slated for Group 320, better known as the “spook group.” Out of 8,000 cleared employees, there were only around 135 of us assigned to 320. This made for a rather thorough investigation of my background which wasn't too worrisome as I had carried Secret and Top Secret clearances in the past and hadn't sold the Russians any secrets recently. However, with a divorce in the making, mine was going to be especially tardy.

To enter Sandia, one has to enter the Kirkland Air Force Base compound which has guard posts on all entrances that required a decal or a permit to enter. One can also expect random vehicle inspections as well both coming in and going out.

After that, one is on base where parking is allowed prior to entering the tall, barbed top, chain link fence surrounding Sandia Base through security checkpoints. These checkpoints are quite thorough and “your papers must be in order!”

Sorry 'bout that, couldn't help myself!
 
In between the two fences is where the big alternate energy projects such as the Solar Power Tower & the sun tracking mirrors, the Savonius vertical windmills, and my favorite, the Particle Beam Fusion Accelerator (PBFA) are located. When that thing discharged, it could be felt for over a mile. By the way, when a test was imminent, we left the building!

Other items located in the limbo zone were the electronics warehouse, surplus items to be auctioned, and the Leper Colony. That was where those who were waiting for their clearances to come through toughed it out doing many of the unclassified projects. We were considered “unclean” and were cast out of the city gates!

Nearly every occupation was represented and all variety of work was undertaken. With 8,000 employees, Sandia represented a town of 24,000 high technology types – shear heaven for a electron bender like myself!

Christina Hwong was a gal about my age awaiting her clearance. With her mother being a Brit in Hong Kong and her father a Chinese businessman in Singapore, her Q would be a long time coming. Most new-hires were in their early 20's and hadn't had time like certain politicians, Christina, and myself to sell classified documents yet!

Christina was hired for her mathematical skill which was outstanding. Her grasp of the truly abstract was better than any I had ever seen and having her around gave me the opportunity to get some fantastic tutoring in a tough nut for me, vector calculus. She was a good teacher and rarely had my eyes glaze over!

There were about 20 folk at any one time in the colony with most folk receiving their clearances in six months or less. 8 AM was the official start of the work day, however Christina and myself showed up at 7. Math lessons, sure. Actually it was due to the coffee. We had one of those multi-pot Bunn industrial brewers to get going before Scott came in at 7:30. You see, Scott was a Scotsman, played a nearly professional game of golf each evening with the Air Force brass, (we had an excellent course on the reservation) and he, plus the AF brass retired to the Officers Club after for a wee nip of the Romulan ale. Normally, he felt poorly in the morning. If he made the coffee, spoons would stand up in the cups. One ate Scott's coffee. Toxic.

Christina also had a very nice home right outside of the base she shared with her mate. About once a month she gave a get-together for all the new-hires plus a few old hands. Mid-westerners, New Englanders, southern Californians, you pick it, they were there and a good time was had by all! She could make a rather alien place in the high desert where Mexican was the predominate language much more welcoming.

She also had a fair-sized two story “cabin” in the Manzano mountains she would host get-togethers at in fair weather. We did everything from hiking to football, lots of good eats, just really nice for the kids so far from home.

As far as work, we both wound up doing the unclassified work on the Vela satellite system that insured compliance with the nuclear test ban treaties. I had additional duties designing the video processing system for LAZAP, part of the SDI.

One morning Christina didn't show up. This was not particularly strange, often we were brought in the main compound for a bit of a briefing. Not this time. Christina was dead. Something gave way in her magnificent mind and she killed herself. The way she did it was so very strange; multiple stab wounds that she definitely inflicted herself.

About a year later, I had received my clearance and went to work with the 320 Group. Nina and I had begun living together with neither wanting to get married. We were extremely burned out by the Hell we went through with our divorces and getting too old for kids even if it was a good idea. Seems Sandia didn't feel exactly the same way. Admittedly, my job was one of the most classified around, however I thought it strange her and I married made me/us a lesser risk. Then they did something I thought was a bit demented: they gave me access to the computerized FBI files on damn-near everybody. These are the same type of files as the 900 found in Hillary's bedroom. One can blackmail the shit out of many folk (and ALL politicians); I was expected to look up Nina's past. Obviously they (management) didn't know me/us. Her and I were totally honest with each other and knew the painful parts of each that should be left alone. Scab-picking is a bad idea.

However, there were some scabs worthy of picking. Management for one. Politicians of course! It may be 1986 but it's still J. Edgar's FBI!

For enlightenment, I looked up Christina. A sweet, normal woman with a I.Q. of 187.
Hit Counter
Hit Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment