Monday, August 10, 2015

What Happened to my Christianity?

Actually, my faith is as strong if not stronger than ever but I cannot be a Christian.

In 1985 I accepted working a series of jobs at Sandia National Labs in Albuquerque, New Mexico. One major reason for accepting SNL was the fact that it was operated by a commercial company, AT&T, and did not the have the university work ethic instead, it had the commercial/industrial ethic. A job that could be accomplished in one year at Sandia would take six at Brookhaven which would have driven me mad! The problem with Sandia is its location in the most crime-ridden city in the continental U.S. At present, according to the FBI, Albuquerque has 16 times the rate of violent crime than that of NYC. The FBI has a disclaimer on their statistics stating they are the rates reported by the cities themselves. In 1987, the Albuquerque police department reflected the general population in being 90 per cent hispanic and would not even investigate a robbery of less than $5,000 of 1987 proven value and assault and battery unless the victim was immediately transported via ambulance to a hospital. I wonder about homicide? Got lots and lots of sand all around...

The first two weeks were spent in orientation and Sandia put new-hires up in the Winrock, very high security, and afterwards, I rented an efficiency on Kirtland Air Force Base. Extremely high security. When the time grew close for my family to join me, I rented a two bedroom in northeast Albuquerque (allegedly safe) for the crew while we found something permanent. Nice neighbors, nice landlord. Yeah. Right. A couple of days after moving in, the locking plate on the gasoline filler was ripped loose and the tank siphoned dry. Didn't bother repairing, the nasty things would just do it again. Didn't dare put a locking gas cap on. I was warned they would just use water pump pliers and wring it off, destroying it and the filler tube. Just put in $1 worth at a time! ...also got the vehicle royally keyed for that.

Got the 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC inverter stolen. Headless bolts are no prob for a mex. They just pry it out. Got the new stereo FM & speakers as well, they probably got $2 at the flea market.

Q: What can you get at a mexican yard sale?

A: Yer stuff back

Got disgusted with this “safe “ area of town (actually it was as I sadly found out) and moved to a nice little house on a cul de sac in an alleged “safe” area closer to base. Had to move anyway due to Norte Americano Van Lines, seemed they wanted $5000 per month to store 1/3rd of a trailer load of goods. Nice racket. What do you expect out of a bunch of lovely brown brothers?

You know what's gonna happen, don'tcha? Yep. The bastards gave me four days of peace before coming home from the lab to find 21 moving van packing boxes, an enormous set of tools and tooling from my lab in Florida, my new Zenith television and Litton microwave, and my long arms gone. They would NEVER find my pistols as they were hidden where the filthy animals would never think (think? Animals like them?) to look: in the washcloths. One of the long arms was a special Winchester 12-12 skeet shotgun made in 1922, appraised at $4,500 back in 1971. My grandfather left it to me. Thanks, dipshits.

You think it's over? You'd be wrong oh taco-breath. The worst is yet to come.

I stayed at that address for quite a while. With my wife and children not joining me, I didn't have to worry about the little gringo kids being eaten.

Finally, I moved nearly to the base, a VERY secure area. It felt much better than the gang-infested (cockroach infested) neighborhood that was SUPPOSED to be "safe". Not long after moving, I went to rent Nina and I a couple of movies and before returning, stopped to see a couple of Sandia new-hires new to Albuquerque. We visited until dark and I made my farewells, walked toward the Land Cruiser, and noticed a trio of strange mexicans approaching. Yep. Time to give God another giggle. The filthy vermin who were complete strangers to me tackled me with one of the goddamn bastards pounding my head against the street curb.

I remember someone screaming and the expression on the insanely vicious Hell-spawn's face that was pounding my skull. I regained a degree of consciousness with Curt and Carol attempting to wash out my head wounds. The next few weeks are lost to me except for the unending pain. My injuries included a broken right wrist, hyper-extended left wrist, broken left shoulder with joint damage, broken left shoulder blade, fractured skull, neck broken in two places, and my left eye partially gouged out. Thankfully, no major nerve damage, just permanent astigmatism.

Ah, New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment! ...my ass.

I really don't know how long I was out of it other than at least a month. I was very fortunate to have had Nina to care for me. There's a photo of me she took 3 weeks and 4 days after the attack, I wouldn't have wanted the job. Some friends told me I made a very poor patient, sure said a lot about my future wife!

It's all over, right? Not so, mescal mouth.

The end of my second year was coming up and I had oodles of vacation time that I would loose if not used so I stayed in bed while Nina went to work. I planned to go to Tijeras later to purchase new New Mexico auto insurance and poke around the

3 weeks, 4 days after

realty market there. It was a nice area, few mexes, just Indians and Anglos mostly. Albuquerque was just a steaming pot of rancid dog squeeze, not fit for human habitation.

Nina went to leave, came back in and asked "Michael, where's the Land Cruiser?"

Can you feel the love?

It was found a week later joy-ridden, wrecked, tangled in scads of barbed wire, stripped of everything not destroyed, the usual by our sweet, brown, highly moral and intellectual brothers. May they rot in Hell. It was brought back to me in a flat-bed dump truck.

An oddity in Albuquerque is the enormous number of houses fitted with burglar bars on the windows. Gee, I wonder why? Is it a outdoor prison? Homes for insane? There is a requirement in the building code that the bars be capable of being removed from the inside in case of fire. The mexes just cemented them in. Lots of fires in a city of a half-million. Lots of fried mexicans. The Bible is clear about loving your fellow man. So help me, I couldn't. I felt joy. Made me sick.

I can't be a Christian anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment