Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Frank and the Amazing Flying Machine

Obviously this tale is about Frank, a Texas Air National Guard pilot and his jet.

When I first began working for Sandia National Labs, I lived in a studio apartment complex at the end of the Kirkland Air Force Base runways. It was a pretty nice place to live with a pretty good turnover of interesting people including Frank and Joanie. I'll get back to her later...

Frank was also a ham radio operator as well. We had plenty of good talks after work while waiting for the evening “air show.” Just as the sun went behind the Sangria de Christo mountains to the west, the evening flights began. F-15s in staggered pairs, sometimes as many as eight, lifted off the end of the runway with full afterburners lit up, turning WNW to start the festivities. With the purple evening sky and the blood red sunset behind the mountains, the shock diamonds from the burners was something to behold!
 
That's just a stock shot, no mountains! No red setting sun either, gotta love the high desert!

Following the main attraction were a mixture, A-4s, A-10s, cargo, and tankers. A lot of iron in the sky, a good way to say goodbye to another day!

One evening Frank asked me if I'd like to go on a routine flight with him one night. I knew the regular Air Force did things like that with civilians all the time. Jet jocks gave their gals a ride worth remembering, then took them flying! Illegal as hell, just not prosecuted.

My father was a light plane flight instructor, charter pilot, and mostly a barn-stormer! I had been flying since before I could ride a bike and loved it! Got some tales about that as well.

Also, by August, 1977, I had 2 million commercial air miles logged. Got the privilege of the right seat of a Lan Chile 707 when going to the Las Campanas Observatory in Chile and the right seat of a PSA 727 at their training field in Arizona (you'd be amazed what a totally empty 727 can do!), however I had never been flying in a fighter/bomber before.

You don't need a lot of time figuring out my answer to Frank. Couldn't wait!

I won't trouble you with the details except for following one rule. Act as if the flight was routine; cause no stir. Un-enforced rules are still enforceable.

We took off late one night carrying no arms of course, so we were quite light. “Frisky” is putting it mildly! We headed south climbing initially to 47 thousand, then proceeded east when we headed toward Dallas. I did not know the aircraft was capable of such an altitude, however I didn't know a passenger jet could make 43 thousand until a flight I was on from LA to New Orleans did so. ...more on that later.

You might be curious as to why a member of the Texas Air National Guard was doing stationed in New Mexico. Seems he had an ex-wife in Dallas that wasn't very friendly. His presence caused “difficulties.” I didn't ask, he didn't volunteer. Let sleeping ex-wives lie.

Now I'm having the time of my life, lots of new knobs, switches, and instruments to play with, plenty of fun flying in a sky-Corvette! I wasn't paying much attention to the radio chatter as we approached Dallas, don't recall any of it coming from Frank. We were headed approximately 120 degrees and Frank turned to a heading of close to 300 degrees when we were over Dallas. Then he did something completely unexpected. He dove. Under acceleration. We had been dropping altitude for some time so instead of 8 miles high we were approximately 3 miles up when he began our dive. We were not into it very long before the aircraft went into a pair of what felt like lengthwise shudders. Since we were at nearly 600 knots before the dive, it was pretty easy to figure out that we'd broken the sound barrier. A bit rough for a normally sub-sonic craft like the OA-4.

Frank pulled us out in time obviously, however I watched the accelerometer passing through 9.2 G's before blacking out. He was wearing a G suit, I wasn't.

When I came to, we were at 500 feet at 500 knots. He had the terrain-following radar auto-piloting us due north. My flight suit was covered in blood from my nose, I felt like shit, and I wasn't too sure what in the hell had just happened. Yeah, he just dropped a whopping big sonic boom on top of his ex-wife's (formerly his) house. No problem. The Air Force will not pay for any damage caused by military aircraft! Call Moody.

Wonder how far the damage extended? Most sonic booms are heard from the side with the aircraft more or less horizontal and at high altitude. This was a sonic bomb!

There is more to the trip including some good stuff. We popped up for radio contact in Utah, landed and re-fueled. Frank let me run the take-off (easy), then we leisurely flew out over California and the Pacific. BTW, Frank got in no trouble at all. One thing still bothers me. Having someone transferred from the Texas Air National Guard to New Mexico is pretty easy now, however what was he doing with a Navy jet?
 
...to be continued


Hit Counter
Hit Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment